Welcome
Welcome to dannyscampers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

rain water leaks

Questions of a general nature, not covered in another category.

rain water leaks

Postby theoleguy » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:03 pm

We've been most fortunate ... 3 years of ownership ... no leaks ... til last week. Where ... the lower inside corner of the front dome (left side)... just about a table spoon full from overnite rain ...

But, where is the entry point ... discovered a couple of ripples on the edge of the dome (2" wide base ) about 15" up from corner ... don't know what cause it. I put 3M weather stripping tape (2" wide) over the ripples ... starting a foot higher, continuously down to the lower corner. No more leaks. Permanent fix will be to re-caulk the whole edge from top to bottom. No rippling on any of the other two large domes. :roll:
theoleguy

Re: rain water leaks

Postby dannyscampers » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:17 pm

HI Dave,

I sometimes roll my eyes too.... but that's a story for another day. :roll:

A "permanent fix" would be to remove the leaking skylight down to the bare roof and glue on a new one. Repairing the caulk will do for now, but you will have to keep an eye on it in the future, watching for new cracks and lifting caulk. The epoxy that holds it in place must have failed, partially, and so now it's up to the "decorative" caulk to hold out the water. You've done well in identifying the area of the failure, so just keep an eye on it.
Danny
dannyscampers
Site Admin

Postby theoleguy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:57 pm

It is a good idea to check all the corners next to the deck for water staining. Then look closely at the nearby caulking of corner and hinge coverings. The last thing anyone needs is water leaking and getting into the flooring. Floor rot is less than with pre 2004 models, CNW changed the flooring material.

Perhaps Danny and elaborate on this one.
theoleguy

Postby grunt98444 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:51 pm

I have water seepage from the bottom of the roof right at the frame, taped and coated the whole roof, still have same problem
Anyone have the same problem? How do I stop it?
The water damaged area is ready to be reapaired, won't install new material until the seepage is stoppped

Thanks,
Richard
grunt98444

Postby theoleguy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:41 am

Last week I was at Danny's Campers shop in Westfield, and Bryan fixed all the leaks by re-caulking nearly every crevice with the new caulk now used by CNW. Also the roof hinge cover and hold down aluminum edges were sealed using a DAP "aluminum" rubber based caulk. The old caulk was removed (a tedious job, but so necessary) and the new caulk was expertly applied. Looks great. No more leaks. Yes, we will keep an eye on the dome adhesive action. Your post was well received on a major re-do. Leaking areas are tricky to find, so the complete re-caulk action took care of those difficulties to spot concerns. Now one happy camper, again.

I created some damage to the rear panel (backed into a tree ... duh :roll: ), but Brian created a fix with diamond plate that looks superb and might even be stronger than the panel was before. Bryan is a most able craftsman.

Thanks for the continuing care and workmanship.

Dave and Nancy Madsen (theoleguy) :D
theoleguy

Postby dannyscampers » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:32 am

Hi Richard,

99% of water leaks can be spotted by the naked eye... if you know what to look for. In some areas, Dave had visible separation of the caulk from the perimeter aluminum frame on his roof. If you had pictures of where the water appears on the inside, it might lead us to a better remote diagnosis.

Danny
dannyscampers
Site Admin

Postby mcwaldherr » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:46 pm

I have a leak where the roof meets the side wall, right by the upper arm of the torsion spring. I don't see anything dramatically different between all four corners. It almost seems like the foam weatherstripping is soaking up water and then draining inside, although the other three corners seem the same. I could actually see drips coming off the upper arm of the spring.
I have replaced part of foam with a little denser foam, mainly because I couldn't find anything close to the original. I have re-caulked the short piece of vertical foam to match the rest, but still leaks.
Also put some silicone on the rivets.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, Mike

ImageImageImage
mcwaldherr

Postby dannyscampers » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:15 am

Hey Mike,

It looks like you have done a good job with the caulk.... but there is one little area that looks suspect.. at least from here...

Make sure the caulk seals the little jog at the bottom of the vertical weather strip that's on the A-wall. That little tiny ledge will act like a mini gutter and let water through even if the weather strip seems to seal it. It may be ok, and there's another problem, but your photo seems to show a grey spot that matches the foam at the very bottom.

Danny
dannyscampers
Site Admin

Postby mcwaldherr » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:54 pm

Thanks. I will look at that.

Also, I have been reading in the Yahoo forum about leaks. Several comments about replacing all the open cell foam with a closed cell or a D-shaped tube type. I have often wondered about the open cell foam. Seems like it would act like a sponge, but until recently I never had any leaks.
Any comments on replacing the open cell foam?

Thanks, Mike
mcwaldherr

Postby dannyscampers » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:32 pm

The Aliner factory has gone away from the open cell foam for a number of good reasons... BUT, unless yours has deteriorated or is prone to leakage, it's not worth the bother to just go ahead and replace it.

Reasons to replace it include:

Sunlight damage, the white dust that appears as the foam degrades due to UV rays.

Wear and tear, especially around the door and the A-wall to roof seals.

Winter use. The open cell foam loves to suck up moisture and freeze to the aluminum roof and door extrusions, making teardown and exiting the trailer after an overnight sub-freezing stay difficult or impossible. Sometimes a silicone or WD-40 spray of the foam will prevent this problem, but the best prevention is the new "D" cross section foam... available directly through Aliner.

Have fun!!
Danny
dannyscampers
Site Admin

Return to General Questions