Welcome
Welcome to dannyscampers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Fast Pack Awning?

Questions of a general nature, not covered in another category.

Re: Fast Pack Awning?

Postby jon595 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:28 pm

I've been going through some of the camping forums getting ready for the numerous trips we have planned out and figured I'd respond with my thoughts on the Fast Pack Awning. I bought it last year and have used it numerous times. So far, I'm pretty happy with it. The biggest issue is wind. If it is windy, one side will generally be blown down and the other will pick up slightly. This can get annoying at night as you can hear it bumping on the side of the camper. I do intend to try to 'fix' this issue by buying a pair of extending tent poles, staking one end in the ground and securing the other end to the fiberglass pole of the awning.

At first I was worried about the wind damaging it or ripping it out or a wall coming loose, but after using it in moderately windy conditions and some very heavy rain, I don't worry anymore. The one trip my family and I were on we had a very heavy downpour that lasted for an hour and flooded many tents out of the campground. The awning sagged a bit, but never went down too much.

The awning does provide good cover and shade. I can fit my Coleman Camp-Kitchen underneath it and cook in the shade or stay dry if it's raining.

So, bottom line, I'm happy with it. It is expensive for what it is, and I hope to improve upon it with some changes, but I'm happy I bought it. Once you get used to it, it goes up and comes down pretty quick.

On my website, I have a folder dedicated to some camping pictures of my Aliner. If you want to see some of it in real world use, stop by. Pictures of the awning are here on pages 1 and 2: http://www.jonathanhrovath.com/gallery/index.php?album=public/misc-stuff/other-stuff

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I hope this helps.
2011 Aliner Ranger
jon595

Postby coffee » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:54 pm

Nice photos thanks for sharing Jon. I sure like your ranger. Those rain storms you mentioned, did your ranger do fine with no leaks?
coffee

Postby jon595 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:16 pm

The Ranger hasn't had a single leak yet (knock on wood). It has been fantastic. The one storm in Hocking Hills was just crazy how much water came down in so little time. The Ranger held it all out though.
2011 Aliner Ranger
jon595

Postby philox » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:24 pm

Just got my Mariah awning last week, for my Aliner Sport, and it looks excellent..still need to install though so the first thing to do is replace the zinc plated screws with SS ones to avoid the rusting problems..Dean was easy to deal with and made this awning and shippped it very quickly ($300 total including shipping).....
philox

Postby paul parker » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:56 am

Leakage of water can be a big problem during the rainy season. Same is the case with water pipes. During the rainy season due to congestion and increased volume of water leakages can develop in the pipes. Therefore it is very important to get the pipes checked from time to time.
paul parker

Previous

Return to General Questions